Medtronic: Project Manager (Contract)
August 2013 – present
- Define, plan and manage technical documentation deliverables for Medtronic’s Cardiac Rhythm Disease Management business unit
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify and create accurate and compliant technical information
- Write content and build patient and technical manuals using Framemaker and MAPS, an internal content management system
- Internal process improvement projects (identifying technology tools to manage projects)
- Designed SharePoint library and organized project data for active CRDM projects.
- Revamped post-market technical communication project sites (applied consistent site templates, layout, and improved overall user experience)
U.S. Bank: Technical Documentation Manager
November 2012 – August 2013
- Serve as key contact for technical documentation projects
- Manage content and interactive functionality for 1,500+ pages of context-sensitive webhelp
- Write and implement technical documentation processes and procedures
- Conceived and implemented cross-team processes for updating webhelp during waterfall and agile software releases.
- Streamlined documentation output by using RoboHelp to single-source online help, user guides, and other technical documentation.
- Improved overall help user experience by redesigning look and feel, performing substantive edits, applying a custom CSS stylesheet, and changing how information is presented.
- Set up RoboHelp as a single-source system for generating online help, user guides and review documents
Help/Systems, LLC: Senior Technical Writer
May 2007 – November 2012
- Write, edit, and maintaine user documentation for green screen and GUI products
- Edit content and manage posts for multiple corporate blogs
- Write copy for ads, mailers, brochures, post cards, and press releases
- Initiated and led project to convert outdated PDF and JavaHelp-based user guides into HTML5-based webhelp
- Created standard look and feel for webhelp across multiple product lines
- Designed and managed interactive functionality of employee Intranet site
- Updated help layout and topic naming conventions to make documentation more task-based
Independent Communications Consultant
November 2010 – present
- Created web portfolio for Chelsea Lindeamann Photography
- Wrote content and designed web site for Technical Glass Group
- Wrote content and created web portfolio for Wildside Photography
Open Systems International, Inc.
Superviser of Technical Communications: February 2005 – May 2007
- Write and edit content for user guides, configuration guides, and design descriptions
- Manage documentation library
- Manage work load and performed performance evaluation for one full-time writer and one part-time intern.
- Designed and implemented Microsoft Sharepoint portal for collaborative work on documentation
- Managed work load and performed performance evaluation for one full-time writer and one part-time intern.
- Created and applied new Word template to over 60 user manuals
- Conducted documentation training sessions for engineers and new hires.
- Created searchable, HTML-based product documentation CD‐ROM for customers.
Unisys Corporation: Technical Writer
July 2001 – January 2005
- Write content for product user guides and help systems
- Participate in product usability testing
- Operate equipment for Digital Video team
- Write content and update HTML pages for department Intranet site
- Involved in creating new digital video team
- Assisted in setting up usability lab
- Assisted in setting up content management system for re-use
- Maintained information modules in content management system.
University of MN: Information Technology Professional
June 1999 – July 2001
- Answered computer helpline for UMN staff, faculty, students, and alumni
- Updated technical content for Internet Helpline Knowledgebase
- Assisted with teaching software classes (Word, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)